Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Spotlight Presents . . .

Introducing the latest of the regular features: Breed Spotlight! In honor of one of today's Nostalgic Pups being a German Shepherd Mix, I've decided to spotlight, what else? German Shepherds!

Let me start by saying that I think GSDs are incredibly gorgeous dogs. I love that noble look they have. (note: I am aware that looks alone are not a good basis for getting a particular breed of dog.)

But, let's get to the good stuff!
German Shepherds are probably most famous for their protective and loyal natures. They are wary of strangers and extremely loyal to their owners, which is why they make excellent guard dogs. However, I have also heard of a GSD rescue who could not be placed in a home because he was so loyal to his former owner. That's an extreme case, but needless to say, GSDs need a lot of socialization. They are also very intelligent and strong, which is why there are the breed we so often see as police dogs and other service animal jobs.

As far as looks go, GSDs are very distinctive. Most recognizable are their long muzzles and giant 'bat ears' (I love those ears!). I would spend the rest of this post describing them some more, but pictures and the AKC are better at that than I am.


PUPPIES!

BIG PUPPY!
(images from akc.org)

Is the German Shepherd the right breed for me? I don't know. It could be! I would like to actually spend some time with a GSD as part of making an informed decision. Of course I won't be ready to choose a breed for awhile yet, but I do think the German Shepherd is an excellent option!

1 comment: