Monday, June 8, 2009

Breed Spotlight: Goldens!

There's a reason that Golden Retrievers have been in the top 5 of AKC registrations for years. These dogs are beautiful, athletic, intelligent and loyal. Practically the perfect dog right? Yea remember when I talked about Shadow from Homeward Bound? Yea he basically sums up Goldens perfectly, just maybe a little less uptight.So about them Goldens . . . Goldens are very versatile. They can be field dogs, show dogs and companion dogs. Heck, they can be those things all at the same time. They are loving and eager to please, making them very trainable dogs and naturals for obedience. Like any sporting dog, Goldens are energetic and need a good amount of exercise. Goldens love to (guess!) retrieve! Because they were bred for that purpose, they love playing fetch. I believe a Golden would fetch all day if it could. They also like to swim because, like I mentioned before, that's one of the things they were bred for. The thing about Goldens is that if they don't enough exericse (physical AND mental) they will get destructive. Very destructive. So yea, make sure you know what you're getting yourself into if you get one of these dogs. Because of their tractable nature, Goldens can often be seen in the roles of service and therapy dogs. They're naturals at this, and this fulfills the Golden's love of working.
So Goldens are great dogs. They combine brains and good looks, as well as a sweet disposition to boot. To tell the truth, I would really like to have a Golden. Either a Golden or a Labrador Retriever. I know they're incredibly popular, but they're popular for a reason. They really are awesome dogs. *sigh* Do you think if I just smuggle a Golden puppy into my house, my parents will allow me to keep it because its so cute? I mean, look!
Can YOU resist that face? Huh? HUH? I didn't think so! Now if you'll excuse me, I have a bad talking dog movie to watch.

Images from Flickr. 1 2 3

No comments:

Post a Comment